TypeAbility is a typing and computer tutor program for the blind and visually impaired that supports JAWS, Fusion and MAGic. TypeAbility speaks clear and easy to understand instructions for everything the student may need to know. From the moment it opens, it stays with the student never leaving them to wonder what to do next.
Each lesson and task is described clearly and with context to make sure that it is easy to understand and follow.
- Each lesson and task is described clearly, eg. if it’s to type a word it will be spoken, spelt and then put into the correct context of a sentence or two.
- The contextual sentences will either be educational or humorous
- At the end of the lesson TypeAbility will tell a joke
- F1 : will remind the user of what they should be typing
- F2: Starts the next lesson
- F3: Opens a list of the 98 lessons from which the student can choose from. If you’re in Teacher’s Mode, it opens a list of Keyboarding Excercises the teacher has created
- F4: Opens a list box containing many Dictation exercises covering a variety of different typing challenges. Pick one and TypeAbility will dictate to the student just as if dictating to a secretary. When the dictation is finished and the student is done typing their accuracy and speed can be reported.
- F5: Starts and entertaining Accuracy/Speed game for the current task the student is typing
- F6: Opens a list box containing many Academic Quizes that can be run either as a practice test, where you get 4 tries an 4 increasingly detailed hints to get the right answer, or as a real test where you get one try per question.
- F11: Toggles between TypeAbility mode and Teacher’s Mode
- F12: Opens the student’s progress report